I was lucky enough to get back into the Hutt Gorge recently. I knew that Ionly had enough time to navigate a couple of hours into the gorge, but it was a good opportunity to try out the new canon camera. I entered from the top and waded in, the trusty terrier keeping up. At the first bend is a huge deep pool that I was not keen to swim, as I was only wet up to my knees at that point. However I knew there was a steep goat track high on the cliff on the true right but I didn't know if Wicket would be up to it. As we started up he disappeared quickly into the scrub and I started getting worried that he would fall or get lost. But as I climbed out onto the rocky outcrop at the top he was sitting there patiently waiting for me and admiring the view. The early sun was streaming into the valley and the contrast between the shadows and the light rocks was too much for the camera (or for my ability with it anyway). We walked a hour or so downstream before turning back. The sun was hot and I couldn't resist one of the deep green pools.
The Hutt Gorge starts at the pipe bridge on the loop track in Kaitoke Regional Park (Kaitoke Waterworks). The sign at the top suggest it is an 8 hour trip, but I have never managed to do it anywhere near that quickly. These days I usually do it as an overnighter and camp in the middle. This requires good weather for two days and a lot of waterproofing. Here are some photos from past trips...
Liam rides the gear raft. Easier than scrambling over the rocks. (Dec 07)
.
Scott, Glen and Jason negotiate 'The Log Jam', the half way mark in my thinking. This is a tricky bit of river that the rafts have to be carried around. (Nov 05)
.
When not riding the gear rafts, they need to be pulled through the slower water (here by Liam, Dec 07).
.
Camp site 1, this was a nice (but small) piece of sand nestled at the base of some cliffs. Sadly river changes have replaced this patch of sand with large rocks. Camp site 2 is 100m upstream and is actually a bit nicer. Camp site 2 has come to be known as Rotatoke due to the sulphur smell from the rocks in the cooking fire. The tired looking one in the photo is Glen. (Jan 06)
.
Liam starts a cooking fire at Rotatoke. (Dec 07)
..JPG)
Glen about to launch himself into another deep green pool. (Jan 06)
No comments:
Post a Comment